Mental Health Hub
The Branch Liaison Council journey started in March 2019 when one of our supporter branches held a fund-raising event at Victors, a pub in Sunderland, for Man Health. The event raised fantastic £2,300 with £1,700 donated to Man Health and £600 to the Foundation of Light.
While on pre-season in Portugal, several of our branches came up with the idea of a matchday mental health hub, the beginning of our Fans Supporting Fans.
The Branch Liaison Council in conjunction with the Foundation of Light launched our first matchday hub in November 2019, manned by two trained counsellors from Washington Mind along with volunteers from the Branch Liaison Council.
We are open every Saturday home game between 11:45 – 14:45 to both home and away supporters who maybe struggling and need to speak to a trained counsellor or just to call in for a coffee and a look round. Visitors to the hub will receive a warm, friendly welcome, a private room is available for one to one conversations. Due to current Government guidelines and the absence of fans at matches, the BLC and Washington Mind have offered an alternative to the matchday mental health hub with the provision of a daily live chat facility and plans are in place for the provision of a telephone support service in December and January.
- Launched in 2019 with assistance from Washington Mind and The Foundation of Light
- BLC members attended suicide awareness training
- Open every Saturday home match day in the Foundation of Light for both home & away supporters
- Launch of The Branch Liaison Council Fans supporting Fans page
- Recognised by SAFC, HRH Duke of Cambridge, Premier League and EFL
- Self-sufficient by raising money through BLC events